Friday, October 15, 2010

Food. Food. Food.

I was always under the impression that alcohol was used in a meal to heighten the flavors in the food. However, I have learned, here in Illinois, that alcohol is actually used to dull the senses and make bad food taste good. The problem? We don't drink....so the food is just bad. Josh and I have given up trying to get certain kinds of food here in Illinois. For instance, Chinese. We've just figured out how to make some thing at home and we just do that. It's truly sad when we say, "Mexican sounds good" and then find ourselves 20 minutes later in the drive through of the WORST Taco Bell ever (yes, worst - I've waited in line 10 minutes to give an order - and there was only one person in front or me!). Needless to say, it is times like these when we truly miss the food we were used to out West. In short...the mid-West is just bland. Literally.

7 comments:

tweedlediva said...

Golden Wok on University. Go already!!! Oh and Cafe Luna. And Escobars. And Milo's Cafe. Visit and study both of these blogs. You'll feel better.

http://champaign-taste.blogspot.com/

http://ct-recipes.blogspot.com/

steve and jessica said...

That Taco Bell is so slow. I remember running home with Steve from school and needing food before we went somewhere. For some reason, we thought that maybe Taco Bell would be fast. Not so much. Have you been to Flat Top Grill? It is pretty good. Especially if you put the toppings on the bottom of the bowl and rice on top, so you can fit more food in the bowl. I hope both of your school semesters are going well.

Hilary said...

Ah, Staci so sorry to hear about your food woes but am very proud you updated!!!

Jason & Lizzy said...

Sorry about the bad food. Mostly though I love that picture of you two up at the top of your blog. You guys are so good looking and awesome!

Amber said...

I just got home from Cafe Rio with my midgets and read your post. You poor thing - I remember it clearly! But, you're almost done and a year from now you'll find yourself thinking about things you miss in Illinois. (Granted your tummy will be full of good food while you're reminiscing!)

Staci said...

Tweedlediva - It was the champaign-taste blog that gave us the Italian place that was SO bad...I left my comments on that blog too.

Steve and Jessica - Yes, Flat Top Grill is great, it's just kinda expensive, did you ever go there for breakfast? That's my favorite.

Amber - things I will miss about Illinois...I'm not sure I could have that thought while eating a Cafe Rio burrito....my mouth is watering right now.

steve and jessica said...

Good luck with upcoming finals. We never went there for breakfast, we would go for lunch. The breakfast always sounded good though.