Thursday, February 12, 2009

And, yes, we are still alive!

Just the other day I had a phone call from a friend reminding me that we haven't updated our blog in a while. Yes, this is true. And, I would like to apologize to our dedicated blog followers. So, this will be a double post.

First let's talk Super Bowl. We had a great Super Bowl party to which you can see the "rockin" night in the pictures. And, even though it was a great Super Bowl as games go, I sure didn't want to see the Steelers pull it out there at the end. I'm not the biggest fan of Ben Rothelis.....I got bored trying to spell his name, sorry....so I was kinda pulling for the Cardinals. However, don't worry Raider Nation - I was wearing my Raiders hat in the hopes that one day my Raiders will again be playing in February. It might be a while down the road, but one day.

And, the second part of the post is a question....Valentines Day. You know, it's not a REAL holiday. In fact, after doing some small amount of reading on Wikipedia (calm down, Chet), I found that Valentines (like many things) possibly is the pagan holiday that celebrates the marriage of Zeus and Hera. The Catholic Churh, as was the need, then canonized the date as a date to celebrate the martyr of St. Valentine (of which there were 14) and who was buried on the same day. Now, this all makes sense. So, because a Saint (or 14) was martyred and one happened to be burried on February 14h, the Catholic Church, in trying to rid the world of the pagan god traditions, (esepcially after they lost Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday) decided to make it a holy day or holiday. Now comes Chaucer. Until Chaucer came in, there was no mention of giving "Valentines" or anything related to love. So, our Valentines Day, which is the 2nd largest card sending holiday behind Christmas, is actually a day when we should be sorrowing for the murder of Christian saints and celebrating the marriage of pagan gods. I plan on doing both this Valentines Day. Just kidding. But, I thought this information was intersting and thought that the three readers of our blog should know more about it.

Anyway, I am in charge of planning Valentines Day this year and, although I have a pretty good idea about what we are going to do, if you have a Valentines Idea for me I would appreciate it. As, would everyone that dutifully reads our blog every two months when it is updated.

And, thanks again for everyone that called, emailed, or facebooked a Happy Birthday to me. I had a fantastic birthday!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Wow. So with all this newfound info about Valentine's Day being a croc, I can get out of celebrating it now, right???

Well. Maybe not.

Hilary said...

Good Job Stac! Very excited that you updated your blog.

As for Valentine's...I have no real good ideas, but I know you and I'm sure you'll have something fun and creative planned :)

Megan said...

I love the hot dog maker! I need one!

C C & R said...

Stac! I'm so excited that you updated your blog! I don't really do the Valentine's thing and this year we just stayed at home with my sick baby girl! Hope yours was a little more exciting!